1. Change is the only constant in the world we live in now, in the next decade:
• Almost half of all current knowledge will become obsolete.
• The pace of change will continue to accelerate.
• Entire industries will disappear.
• Organizations will continue to restructure to meet the changing demands of the marketplace.
• The lifespan of new products and new technologies will get shorter and shorter.
2. As a leader attempting to help people change, it is critical to understand that first they must be willing to change. Otherwise, you are not really leading, you are using coercion or manipulation. Once they understand the “why” of the change they are much more likely to give wholehearted support and endorsement in your or the companies attempt to bring about particular changes.
3. The first task in leading change is to help team members overcome their underlying fear of change.
Four basic processes help overcome the fear of change.
1. Clear organizational goals: An organizational goals program defines the changes to be made, the direction they will take the organization, and the actions each person must take.
2. Personal development: When team members grow personally, their positive attitudes and their enthusiasm and excitement about their work is contagious. They support one another and their leader also.
3. Team involvement: Involve team members in the entire process of planning, tracking results, and providing feedback. Participation in creating change eliminates the threat of change.
4. Safe learning environment: New ideas and innovations can only happen if mistakes and failed attempts are not just tolerated, but actually encouraged. If you want to increase your success rate, double your failure rate.
2 Quotes from Others
1. “Said, hey little boy you can’t go where the others go
‘Cause you don’t look like they do
Said, hey old man how can you stand
To think that way
Did you really think about it
Before you made the rules?
He said, ‘son
That’s just the way it is
Some things will never change
That’s just the way it is’
Ah, but don’t you believe them”
Bruce Hornsby – The Way It Is.
2. “Strap yourselves in we are going to Mars. Not just a few astronauts, thousands of people are going to colonize Mars and I am telling you that they are going to do this soon. Some of you will end up working on projects on Mars and I guarantee some of your children will end up living there.”
Stephen L Petranek – writer and editor of Breakthrough Technology Alert
1 Question to Ponder
What is the most positive change that you can visualize for yourself?